Sunday 20 April 2014

It's been shit except for!

So this work was completed Thursday and Friday, but Saturday was my 1st anniversary/wedding reception at which Robyn and myself exchanged rings and danced our first dance and  danced ourselves silly all night and Blaise ran round shooting everybody with steampunk guns and generally had a great time. The party was steam punk themed and Blaise chose mine and his costume so we went as steampunk Batman and Robin and believe me capes are a pain in the arse.
Anyway back to the welves whose capes are also a pain in the arse, and the lovely rumours on the interwebs saying no more eternal guard (I have 40 of thes fuckers and as it's winter and the tree spirits are asleep this is my fighty unit) and everything skirmishes( you may have noticed the lengths i have gone to making ranked units of archers) but as you can still buy eternal guard on the store as both a unit of 5 and a command rank i'm taking this as bollocks (please be bollocks) especially in light of the majority of the Bret range that isn't a plastic box disappearing I won't panic just yet(but it is on standby)
Right first the thing that takes the most time on these figures is the white and this is why it starts here.
 It starts as this blue  it is the highlighted to this
Then this


then this
then this and after two more stage i forgot to take pictures of this
which gives it a nice icy feel
So here are the stage on the unit and the completed unit.
close up of the champion(you'll notice that the sword now has a metal blade, the longer I looked at it the shitter it looked)
 The musician
and the unit standard, I've used the normal BSB because i have the limited one that came in the army box on release( yes that's how long it's taken me to paint this army don't be expecting space marine centurions anytime soon)
And now with the final layers of snow 









the cloaks on this unit are a degree whiter on the last unit but this is what I was after so if I have time they'll get brought up to this colour as well.
And now the glade guard scouts( I know there's a lot of photos so bear with me and yes I know the font size has changed and no I don't know why or how to change it back) for the scouts I've used old glade guard and realised something sculpters have got lazy, the faces on these figures have better detail than the much later wardancers faces i painted last year, I've noticed it now on a few things detail has been replaced by smooth surface which does give you more flexibility on one hand but say with the feathers on the griffon on the island of blood set but faces! I want detail, I want character on something in the range that isn't a space marine because the facial sculpting on them is amazing although not so much with hair thinking about it's all a bit Max Headroom(ask your parents or youtube) any way I'm rambling back to figures


First coat and inkwash forgot that every figure in the 80s/90s wore a wrestling championship belt.The on to my first layer of basing on these and the movement trays. when 8th came out and the new rules for skirmishers came out I had an idea individual movement trays for each figure with a 1/4" border so you where always 1/2" away the next figure but still had the fexibility to place them in any position you required( if anyone wants to mass produce these you have my full blessing and permission because they are a pain to make out of plasticard but I expect freebies)
and here from behind in a line with the cloaks of leaves painted to match the leaves scattered on the bases of the other units.

 So now dark blue done and Light blue now just up to white on the cloaks
 And finished I'd like to do something to sort out the edges of the movement trays but that's a job for another day.
 And from behind with snow on the hoods and cloaks to show them blending in. 

So next it's the waywatchers who will be an order of magnitude higher than these in their detail and basing. see you later this week. And here is the customary shot of child labour that I include every so often, Blaise cleaning my bike, she's called Bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment