So this work was completed Thursday and Friday, but Saturday was my 1st anniversary/wedding reception at which Robyn and myself exchanged rings and danced our first dance and danced ourselves silly all night and Blaise ran round shooting everybody with steampunk guns and generally had a great time. The party was steam punk themed and Blaise chose mine and his costume so we went as steampunk Batman and Robin and believe me capes are a pain in the arse.
Anyway back to the welves whose capes are also a pain in the arse, and the lovely rumours on the interwebs saying no more eternal guard (I have 40 of thes fuckers and as it's winter and the tree spirits are asleep this is my fighty unit) and everything skirmishes( you may have noticed the lengths i have gone to making ranked units of archers) but as you can still buy eternal guard on the store as both a unit of 5 and a command rank i'm taking this as bollocks (please be bollocks) especially in light of the majority of the Bret range that isn't a plastic box disappearing I won't panic just yet(but it is on standby)
Right first the thing that takes the most time on these figures is the white and this is why it starts here.
Friday, 11 April 2014
Here's a little update and a question are you as shit as me? I want to know here is exhibit A I've finished all the green bits and the flesh so why is this elbow this colour.
Exhibit B I've done all the dark blue I'm putting the light blue/white base colour on why are her boots black? I mean come on I've even started the outline for the freehand banner.
Anyway on to whats been done obviously the skin is now finished as is the wood grain on all bows standards and sword of the champion. This is a test if it looks good when the units done all weapons will get wooden blades
So now onto the next stage of basing final highlights on general ground area and stones and flocking of bits of grass and then the first layer of snow using the powder snow flock.
this is the first stage of the process I've been using for snow, I don't like the baking soda look it doesn't look like snow( I'm originally from Saddleworth Moor on the Pennines, so I am thoroughly aquainted with what snow actually looks like) and I'm not using crushed glass because no effect is worth permanent lung damage.
So I use a combination of various powder flocks and GW's fibre snow which is by far the best looking but would take about twenty layers to make snow. First layer is the powder flock because this falls between the grass fibre flock and looks like snow in long grass. You may have noticed some large clumps on the tree this was as gap filler for the icicles.
The icicles are great but they are flat and the tree isn't so they look a bit weird without the flock, I've since knocked the flock down to normal levels and it looks a lot better, also do not separate icicles with your snips do it with your fingers. i tried the snips too start with and a piece flew off in the direction of my printer never to be found until it tears through an important document or buggers up the mechanism when i really need it.
And here we are without clumping, the whole unit will get one or two more layers of fibre flock as needed when all painting is finished. The dark dlue is now done and the base is on for the white and the light blue, these are the same colour just different highlight mixes and steps.
Wednesday, 9 April 2014
So the first unit took way too long to do, and that was mainly down to fiddly bits I'd missed and getting all the bindings done. I'd decided at the outset that all the bindings where made of vines so they would be the only green pieces on the models but faded due to the season. This time I've decided to do the bindings first.
this has allowed me to be a bit slapdash and get all the shading done without worrying about hitting white bits or flesh. I've also done all of the base colours on the bases as this was another pain in the arse. I've then done the flesh base around the vines and clothing.
Tuesday, 8 April 2014
Yes the first unit is complete and here they are stalking through the winter woods.
and the musician
and the company standard
and the unit generally just looking a bit mean
Monday, 7 April 2014
So the bows are now done
and now stuck in place
and started the basing and i finished the musician to see how they would look completed.