This was the first step, recut the spaces for movement trays this was originally built under 7th edition so the middle section was two single ranks of ten crossbow men one on a step that I've cut out but as we can now fire in two ranks that formation is a bit pointless. So I have swapped it to two two ranks of five units as you can see from the debris this took some fiddling. I've then set up all bases in movement trays and made sure they slide out easily( more hacky/slashy) and put glue on them.
Now I've planked the main deck (this did involve an amount of fucking around and swearing but not a large amount) and started cutting lines around the unit with a scalpel. This is a fiddly job and delicate because if you snap the balsa you have to replace the plank.
As you can see the units now slide out, these are at the moment just cut at ranks not bases, we'll see how well it works then. I've started planking the side and will add photos of that next time.
The glue i have used is Javis superglue (red top) and it's been working fine.